Create A Bonsai Kit for Your Valentine
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about what grand display of affection you’re going to treat that special someone in your life to this year. A dozen roses? A new pair of earrings? Or, if you’re looking for a unique Valentine’s gift, might we suggest a beautiful bonsai tree instead? Not only are bonsai long lasting, unlike roses which will begin to wilt in a few days, there is a special art and philosophy to caring for them. Research suggests owning plants, and caring for them, has significant psychological benefits for our health.
What are Bonsai?
Bonsai are small plants grown to mimic the shape and size of trees. The word “bon-sai” is a Japanese term that when translated into English means “planted in a container.” The art of making bonsai plants was developed in Japan in the early 14th century through techniques of pinching buds, pruning, and wiring branches. These plants were once only enjoyed by the wealthiest aristocrats and high-ranking members of Japanese society but now, they are a beloved art form for all to enjoy. The bonsai tree is said to express “Wabi-Sabi” or a beauty that is imperfect but brings a sense of appreciation for the simpler things in life. Caring for a bonsai tree can be challenging but it is also a tool in developing patience. This is why it makes such a unique Valentine’s gift!
More Reasons to Get a Bonsai for your Valentine
- With proper care, a bonsai can be a cherished gift for years to come. Some bonsai are centuries old and have been passed on as heirlooms between generations of family.
- Caring for a bonsai isn’t as complicated as you may think, that is long as you know what type of tree it is. Bonsai usually prefer being away from direct heat or drafts, and like plenty of sunlight and humidity. The most common cause of bonsai death is underwatering, so ensure the soil is always slightly damp.
- Bonsai make excellent décor for everyone as they fit into any décor style. Bonsai can be placed on desks, bookshelves, bedside tables… the list is endless! They are completely customizable, making them a unique valentine’s gift.
Create a Bonsai Kit for Your Loved One
Have a little fun for Valentine’s day by creating a bonsai kit! Here’s what you can include in addition to a bonsai:
- Traditional thinning shears for regular bonsai maintenance.
- Aluminum training wire, which is used to create unique shapes with bonsais or train branches to grow certain ways. Your Valentine can have lots of fun exploring all the options of bonsai grooming.
- An essential care guide for bonsai so that whoever you are gifting it to this Valentine’s day can be fully prepared to care for their tree.
- And since it’s Valentine’s day, why not throw in a delicious assortment of chocolates? You can get super creative with this component of the kit, so don’t hold back.
Click here to learn more.